“Gender Bias in College Admissions Tests”, FairTest.org
And then people urge me everything is fine, of course it is, when you’re ignoring statistics that is.
Fun fact: SAT tests predict college performance pretty well for men, but they strongly underpredict college performance for women. http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/12/20/1948550612469038.abstract
I think I’ve reblogged this before, but that study needs to be shared.
the magic begins | 1: favorite character - hermione jean granger
"Are you sure that’s a real spell? Well, it’s not very good is it? I’ve tried a few simple spells myself and they’ve all worked for me. Nobody in my family’s magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, it’s the best school of witchcraft there is I’ve heard - I’ve learned all the course books by heart of course. I just hope it will be enough - I’m Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"
What’s in a grain of sand? A whole lot more than you think
Photographer and scientist Dr. Gary Greenberg uses microscopes to unearth these beautifully bizarre surfaces and landscapes using grains of sand sampled from across the globe.
- eating chocolate does not trigger migraine headaches,
- eating DARK chocolate reduces the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- eating chocolate does not give someone acne or other skin eruptions,
- eating DARK chocolate boosts one’s appetite, but does not cause weight gain,
- eating moderate amounts of chocolate makes one live almost a year longer,
- eating MILK chocolate releases endorphins in the brain, which act as pain-relievers,
- the sugar in MILK chocolate may reduce stress, and have calming and pain relieving effect,
- eating ANY chocolate makes you feel better after a Dementor attack.
reblogging for the last fact
just eat your damn chocolate
Oh, clearxeyes, you are the queen of #Education buddies! Thank you SO much for your gifts and very kind (and much-needed) words of encouragement. You don’t know how delighted I was to discover this stamp-covered package at my doorstep yesterday morning. Such a perfect start to a rainy morning (in SoCal, we consider rain a good thing!). I hope to get to know you better soon! :)
Bonus: You’ve inspired me to become more actively involved in #Education community. I’m just a pre-service teacher and rather shy but y’all are great people with such wisdom and humor and I can’t wait another day! I’ll start posting more of my personal, teacher-y stuff here soon.
** Not pictured: Like 10 more chocolates! I prompted devoured all but two. (it was that kind of day)
I work in Japan as an assistant language teacher, and I’ve posted my better lesson materials here on tumblr from time to time (and elsewhere too). In response to requests, I’m now making them available for other ALTs to use, via this new gumroad store.
You can pay for them or not pay for them! It’s up to you.
Of course, you don’t have to be an English teacher to download any of this stuff! If you’re just curious, help yourself.
I know more than a couple of language teachers in Japan and Korea! Very cool of Patrick to make his education resources available.
***CAT NEEDS NEW HOME IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA***
Hey everyone!! I regret to inform that we won’t be able to keep either of our cats due to my boyfriends allergies, the upcoming arrival of my newborn son, and the move we are going to be making across the country. We need to find them a new home as soon as possible!!
This is Princess. We got him for free on Craigslist when he was only 7 weeks old. He’s been raised in a one bedroom one bathroom apartment as an indoor cat. Here are some other facts about him!
- Princess is a male cat. When we went to get him from the old couple that was selling him on Craigslist they had two peach kittens for sale, a boy and a girl. We went to get the girl but they gave us the boy by mistake. His voice and looks were so feminine that even when we realized the sex was wrong we kept the name Princess, he doesn’t seem to mind!
- He is 8 months old, he’s in the junior age group aka he’s at that playful stage between kitten and young adult.
- Princess is neutered, he does have all his shots, and a microchip. When you take him home you will get all paperwork proving it.
- No past health issues or parasites.
- He is crate trained and likes to sleep in his cage at night! This is incredibly helpful with making him feel safe at his new home as you build a bond.
- He’s been taking baths since he was a small kitten so he’s use to bathing. (It’s not his favorite but he has gotten better!)
- Here are more pictures and videos of him!
- Very lovey. He will perk up to meet your hand as you lean down to pet him
- Has random burst of energy and loves to play
- He is one of those cats who has facial expressions
- Responds to name
- Very vocal and will hold a conversation with you
- Great with kids
He comes with cool stuff!
- We had a big cage we kept both him and his sister in, but after awhile he claimed our carrying crate his territory. He prefers it over the larger cage we have. You will be taking him home with that, its the one he’s so proudly sitting on in the picture above.
- Water and food dish
- Some of his favorite toys, mostly small cat toy balls.
Things we can’t promise to you but that also need to go. These are more on a whoever needs them the most.
- Large bag of dry cat food
- Kitty litter box
- 5 ft used cat scratching post
We live in Riverside CA and are hoping to find someone in the area. Please consider taking him home! We’ll be taking both him and his sister to our local rescue shelter where there will be a possibility of them being euthanized.
(submitted by sugarbunnyboocakes)